Monday, May 28, 2012

Taking humility for granted

Right now I am amazed at some of the girls' lack of knowledge about simple things. Like... not knowing that the United States is not a continent.  Or being unable to list even one country in Asia. I think the worse was not knowing what "humble" means... not even a clue. Sigh... oh my. Maybe devotion tonight should be a lesson on what humility is and is not. 

I do not have a very extensive knowledge of the Bible-- I forget names and exact sequences of events. I'm more of an overall concept kind of girl. Even so, the word "humble" and "humility" and "pride" were used in our household frequently enough that I knew what they meant--even if I couldn't give you Webster's definition of the word or understand the depth of the word. 

It's so difficult to know where to start with our girls. Bible stories, biblical concepts, God's view of sin... there is so much that they have never heard that it is really just easier to read a short devotion at dinner. When I think about trying to teach the girls these concepts I realize that I don't really understand them myself. I understand them in that I know that being humble is not being proud, thinking of others, recognizing our inability to save ourselves, etc... however, I do not understand them in a way that I can convey it effectively to others. Plus... the "where do you start?!" question is somewhat overwhelming. 

Hhhhmmm... Oh to start training your children in truth before they are teenagers. Better late than never! :)

No comments: